Twin Pregnancy | Sign, Symptoms & Complications
Having a baby is a gift from God but having two babies is a blessing. Twins are conceived differently than singleton babies. The causes of Twin pregnancy is -when, either two eggs are released by woman’s ovary and they are fertilized by two separate sperms (non-identical twins) or one egg is fertilized by one sperm and then the fertilized egg is split into two halves (identical halves), this is identical twins.
Identical twins share the same genetic structures and are of the same gender. On the other hand, non-identical twins can look different and are of different gender.
They have similar traits but different gender and genetic structure.
Twin Pregnancy Signs
Twin pregnancy signs are as follows:
- A bigger bump than usual is expected in the early stage of twin pregnancy, basically, it is a sign of twin pregnancy.
- You may conceive earlier than what you have expected. It means you will go out with your dates.
- Woman’s womb and stomach’s muscles will get stretched by your first pregnancy.
- Gaining a lot of weight
- Nausea and vomiting
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms
Twin pregnancy symptoms are as follows:
- Intense nausea and vomiting
- Tender breasts
- Urinary frequency
- Weight gain
- Rapidly expanding uterus
- Extreme hunger
- Extreme tiredness
- Craving for specific food or smell
Twin Pregnancy First Trimester
A twin pregnancy first semester can be observed with some signs:
- Tender breasts
- Missed period
In the initial stage, twins start to develop with their body organs such as heart, lungs etc.
Twins can be categorized as two:
Identical (monozygotic) and non-identical (dizygotic/ fraternal) twins. Fraternal twins and identical twins both two categories are identified at the first trimester of pregnancy.
Monozygotic twins are developed from one zygote when it splits and forms two embryos.
Dizygotic twins (fraternal /non-identical twins) means when each twin is developed from a separate egg and every egg is fertilized on its own (by its own sperm cell).
It is basically when a woman releases two eggs instead of one then each of those eggs are fertilized by a different cell (by its own sperm cell), whereas identical twins are formed from a single egg and sperm when there is one zygote and splits into two while pregnancy and then grows into two embryos.
Twin Pregnancy Complications
Twin pregnancy complications can be understood as:
- There is a greater chance of miscarrying in the first trimester.
- There is a higher risk of generalized pregnancy complications, for example, gestational diabetes, induced hypertension etc.
- There is a greater risk of caesarian delivery
- Complications such as premature birth and its related complications.
- Increased incidence of placenta previa spectrum
Twin Pregnancy Ultrasound
Ultrasound confirms the twin pregnancy. The existence of twins in the womb is determined by ultrasound. Sonographic assessment of chronicity is the most accurate in the first trimester.
Sonographic assessment of chorionicity (ultrasound) is most accurate in the first trimester.
If the twins are of the same gender then it becomes difficult on ultrasound to determine if they are monozygotic or dizygotic.
[Note: monozygotic twins are also known as identical twins whereas dizygotic twins are non-identical twins. ]
There are chances of 70% of dizygotic twins and 30% of monozygotic twins.
Twin pregnancy seems to be very wonderful at the initial stage but later on, there is an increment in the responsibility of two children on a single mother. Though twin pregnancy is tougher to handle than singleton baby but is a blessing.
People Also Search For:
- Chemical Pregnancy | When It Does & How To Prevent?
- What To Eat During Pregnancy For Intelligent Baby?
- 1st (First) Trimester Of Pregnancy | Precautions | Dos And Don’ts