Sciatica Pregnancy | How To Get Relief
Sciatica pregnancy is not a very common case arising due to problem-related to Sciatic nerve specifically with reference to pregnancy.
But symptoms like sciatica pregnancy are common in pregnant women but many a time the reason is found to be a just lower back pain.
Causes Of Sciatica Pain:
Sciatica pain is caused due to lumbar spine problems such as a bulging or herniated disc. Generally, Sciatica is related to symptoms rather than a single phenomenon.
Sciatic is basically a nerve located in your lower spine running towards your thigh and then in your legs. Sciatica arises when there is pressure on your sciatic nerve which causes it to pain.
The reason for sciatic pain can also be tension in muscles and instability of joints. Weak spine conditions of osteoporosis, bad posture, and load on the backbone main cause of sciatic pain.
Hair your baby’s weight can also be an adding factor.
Sciatica In Early Pregnancy:
Sciatica in early pregnancy is common among all the cases of sciatica pregnancy. It is usually common in the second and third trimester of pregnancy.
The reason being that the child shows growth in this phase, which puts pressure on the sciatic nerve. It is a sharp and shooting pain which arises in the back and many times in the legs to which barres you from walking.
The rate of sciatica in early pregnancy is about at least one time for the majority of women. Some reasons behind sciatica in early pregnancy are that women are not adaptive to the do’s and don’ts of pregnancy and the bad posture, long sitting positions add to the sciatic pain.
Sciatica Pregnancy Stretches:
Sciatic pain can be very disturbing and unbearable do some of it is usually faced by pregnant women. But it can be easily treated as well as some stretches and exercises can be done to get relief from sciatic pain.
There are usually 5 types of sciatica pregnancy stretches-:
1.Seated Piriformis Stretch-:
Many a time the reason for pain in the Sciatic nerve is due to the tightness in piriformis muscle. This message is found in the buttocks and if it gets tight can cause irritation to the sciatic nerve. The procedure for this Stretch is as follows-:
- Sit on a chair with your feet flat on the ground and put your ankle on the affected side on the either leg’s knee.
- Lean forward holding your back straight which will cause a stretch in your buttocks. Try to hold it for 30 seconds with repetition throughout the day.
2. Pigeon Posture Stretch-:
This is a common yoga pose practiced but some changes are made to make it comfortable while pregnancy. You will need a yoga block or a rolled towel to effectively follow this stretch. The steps are as follows-:
- With your hands and knees on the floor Kamina animal like position.
- Now move your right knee ahead so it comes between your hands and moves your left leg behind, keeping your foot on the floor.
- Place the yoga block or towel under your hip. This used to make the stretch easier while allowing room for your belly.
- Now, Lean forward over your right leg. Slowly move down towards the ground. while placing the Yoga blog under your head and arms for support.
- Try to hold for a minute and Repeat alternate sites which repetition throughout the day.
3. Table Stretch-:
This is stretches of great relief in sciatic pain during pregnancy.
It relaxes the muscles of Buttocks & back. The steps are as follows-:
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than your hips facing towards a table. Now, Lean forward while placing your hands on the table.
- Arms and back are to be kept straight. Start pulling your hips away from the table till you feel a stretch in your back and your legs.
- Try to hold this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Repetition is preferred to be twice a day.
4. Hip Flexor Stretch-:
Hip flexor muscles play a major role while moving your legs such as walking. Tightness among these muscles can cause pain. The steps to this stretch are as follows-:
- Get down on the floor with your hands and knees in an animal like position. your hip and knee should be at a 90-degree angle.
- Now, push your weight forward till you feel a stretch in your back hip and legs.
Try to do it for 30 seconds, then repeat on alternative site
5. Glute And Hamstring Fold Rolling Stretch-:
To do this stretch you would require a foam roller. The foam roller is a simple inexpensive and convenient tool for relaxing your tight muscles. The steps to this stretch are as follows-:
- Set on the foam roller while placing it on the ground. Please your hands behind while supporting yourself.
- Now Cross your one foot over the other leg’s knee. start moving your body back and forth slowly over the foam roller until you find a comfortable spot.
- Keep doing this moment for somewhat 30 to 60 seconds.
Repeat on either side.
Sciatica During Pregnancy Second Trimester:
As mentioned above that some reasons for sciatica in women are weight gain, improper posture, long sitting terms, the pressure of your baby’s weight on the sciatic nerve, pain in the back etc.
Practical reasons for Sciatica in pregnancy second-trimester areas the baby starts to grow in size, as well as the real pregnancy tummy, starts to grow.
The second trimester brings in a very different phase. This contributes to the reasons for Sciatic pain in the second trimester of pregnancy.
The rise in the pain also exerts pressure on the sciatic nerve as well as tightening the piriformis muscle.
Pregnancy Sciatica Relief:
Sciatic pain can be very disturbing as is it is a sharp shooting pain in the back. Sciatica is a common cause of pain in pregnancy.
As the center of gravity shifts, the ligaments of the body gets loose, the posture of the body changes to prepare for labor and delivery of the baby.
Some general measures and steps can be taken to get pregnancy sciatica relief-:
- Massage the area with a warm Heating pad or pillow. It is seen to provide release in various cases.
- You can go for massage therapy such as prenatal massage therapies. They are seen to provide release not only in sciatica but other pregnancy-related issues.
- Contact your doctor to see for any medicine or related solution.
- You can visit a chiropractor.
- Yoga and other stretches mentioned above are found to be very effective in cases of sciatica pregnancy.
- Prefer warm showers over cold showers as they help in loosening up the body and relieve pain.
Sciatic Nerve Pain During Pregnancy:
Sciatic nerve pain is the main reason behind Sciatica. The pressure exerted on the sciatic nerve causes it to inflammation and cause sciatica.
To get rid of sciatic nerve pain while pregnant. First of all, you should avoid doing all the listed stuff-:
- Don’t lie down on the side of pain as it will exert more pressure on the nerve.
- Avoid doing heavy lifts as they too will exert pressure on sciatic nerve.
- Avoid standing for long periods of time and also maintain a proper posture.
- Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for longer periods of time.
Now here are some things that you can do to relief and get rid of sciatic nerve pain-:
- Swimming has also been found to relieve sciatic nerve pain in many cases as it balances the body weight on water.
- If while standing you feel pain then you can keep one of your foot on an elevated surface to relieve the pain.
- Using warm heating belts and pads is recommended and also cold treatments can be applied to the area to relieve inflammation.
- Contacting your doctor is always a safe option as Sciatic pain can be severe in many cases.
- All of the above-mentioned pregnancy sciatic relief applicable to get rid of sciatic nerve pain while pregnant.
People Also Search For:
- Normal Delivery Pain | How To Make Delivery Less Painful?
- Breast Pain In Pregnancy | How To Get Relief?
- Heartburn During Pregnancy | Heartburn, And Myths
- Pregnancy Month By Month | Baby Size & Tips For Mother