Pelvic Pain During Pregnancy | Symptoms And Treatment
Pelvic Pain During Pregnancy
What Is Pelvic Pain:
Pelvic pain during pregnancy is basically sharp or cramping pain in the lower part of your abdomen and pelvis.
Mainly the region below your belly button and near your legs is the affected area.
There can be various reasons for pelvic pain arising out of problems related to reproductive organs, digestion or urinary system etc.
Many times it might occur in your lower back, buttocks & thighs. Pelvic pain can be linked to a variety of conditions and diseases such as endometriosis, fibroid or some serious issues like an ectopic pregnancy or cancer.
This pain may be sharp & dull or normal. Many times these symptoms may occur with improper vaginal discharge, lower pain etc.
Pelvic Pain After Birth:
Pelvic pain after birth is very common among women. It’s also known as postpartum pelvic pain. In pregnancy, while in the phase of delivery your pelvic floor & hip rotatory are made strong by loosening the ligaments and joints.
Which is many a time the reason for pain? Postpartum pelvic pain occurs commonly in the Hip, pelvic and groin area. In the gradual process of pregnancy, ligaments get loose preparing your body for delivery.
It is one of the main reasons for pelvic pain during pregnancy. You can look out for signs such as pelvic pain while sitting or resting for long periods.
Feeling pain while coitus. Pain in the pelvis while standing for long periods. Not able to withstand your pee while sneezing.
Pelvic pain during pregnancy and pressure is also common in this scenario.
Pelvic Pain During Early Pregnancy:
Pelvic pain during early pregnancy is a common problem faced by the majority of women. It almost occurs to every woman.
Pelvic pain during pregnancy occurs due to Loosening of ligaments and bones, shifting to take in the fetus. Many a time this pain can be coupled with vaginal bleeding and low blood pressure.
Apart from the reasons of early pregnancy, It may occur due to miscarriage. There can be many reasons for pelvic pain but during pregnancy, these factors become more prone.
Improper bowel movements, digestive and urinary tract problems can also be the reasons for pelvic pain.
Many times pelvic pain during early pregnancy can become a serious issue. These cases may call for immediate surgery.
Pelvic Pain During Pregnancy:
Pelvic pain during pregnancy is a common problem of almost every women. In pregnancy your hormone levels are fluctuating, your ligaments are getting loose, hence pelvic pain is bound to occur.
The major contributing reasons to pelvic pain is loose pelvis and your growing baby’s weight, which exerts pressure on the bones and nerves.
It is normal as the uterus expands but any kind of bleeding can be a serious issue. Pelvic pain during the third trimester is extremely common as your baby’s weight increases and your body starts to prepare for delivery.
Your baby’s weight starts to exert pressure on the nerves coming out from vagina causing pelvic pain. It can also occur due to changes in the ovary cysts.
Sometimes the ovary twist which causes pelvic pain and is a serious issue.
Pelvic Pain Symptoms:
Pelvic pain though is easily recognizable as it’s common. It is basically sharp pointing and cramping pain in your pelvic region.
Pelvic pain in pregnant women arises due to Loose pelvis and ligaments. While it has many other reasons. These various symptoms arise even in normal and healthy women.
Some other symptoms you can look for are as follows:
- Pain in pelvis while mensuration.
- Pain while having coitus.
- Feeling pain in the Hip and groin area.
- Improper and painful bowel movements.
- Abdominal bloating.
- You might feel pain and pressure on your bladder.
- Pain when standing for long periods.
- Feeling pain while urination.
These are some of the common symptoms which you should look for. If you observe any kind of bleeding or very sharp and unbearable pain it could be a serious issue.
Consulting a doctor is always recommended as it can also be linked to cancer. It may be pelvic pain symptoms of ovarian cancer, which is hard to detect in an early stage.
Pelvic Pain Treatment At Home:
As you can see pelvic pain is common and something that all women have faced at least once. It can be a serious issue too. Pelvic pain during pregnancy is normal & can be relieved at home.
If you don’t find relief after trying these remedies or you feel severe pain. It is recommended to contact a doctor. Some pelvic pain treatments at home are given below:
- Taking hot showers, applying Heating pad or bottle to the pelvis & Lower Abdomen can relieve the cramping pain. It has been seen to provide instant relief.
- Changing your dietary pattern can provide relief to pelvic pain. Avoid eating meat and switch to a more vegetable-rich diet. Increase the consumption of fruits and vegetables. Try to avoid processed foods, sugars, and red meat.
- You can choose to massage the pelvic region. Massaging your abdomen, back, waist etc can show better results.
- You can choose for over the counter(OTC) medicines for pain relief. If you are feeling inflammation and pain you can choose O-T-C painkillers. it provides instant relief from cramps.
- An exercise is always a healthy option. Stretching your muscles can provide relief from pelvic pain. Light exercise is recommended.
- Try to include Omega 3 fatty acids in your diet. They can be found in Salmon or be taken as daily supplements.
- Yoga can be very helpful in providing relief from pelvic pain. As it involves various stretches which may relieve the pain.