Mastitis While Breastfeeding Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
What Is Mastitis
Mastitis is caused by infection. It is a breast inflammation. Mastitis symptoms are usually seen during the first six months of breastfeeding as the body feels weakness after delivery of the child.
Mastitis makes the mother feel very tired and ill all the times. But breastfeeding the child usually helps in clearing up the infection and nursing your child will not harm him/her.
Mastitis finds to be discouraging and painful too so it cleared up quickly and easily with the medicine. Mastitis symptoms and causes are as follows.
Mastitis causes are as follows-
- It happens when bacteria enters the breast via the nipple. It usually happens when a nursing mother has a sore or cracked nipple and bacteria from the baby’s mouth enters a milk duct through a cracked nipple.
- One of the most common causes of mastitis is when a breast does not get empty completely while nursing, then some of the milk is left and it gets stagnate inside the duct of the breast. This leads to the increased risk of infection.
Mastitis symptoms include Pain, redness and warmth of the breast are the main symptoms of mastitis.
Other mastitis signs are as follows:
- Body pain
- Fever and chills
- Breast engorgement
There are some more mastitis symptoms that are seen when there is a serious infection.
- Pus draining from the nipple
- Persistent fever
- No improvement within 48-72 hours after treatment.
- A tender lump in the breast (does not get smaller after breastfeeding a newborn)
Mastitis While Breastfeeding
Mastitis while breastfeeding means an inflammation of the breast which is accompanied by pain, redness, and swelling also.
This is common in the first 3-6 months of the baby’s birth.
It is not dangerous if treated timely. But if not treated quickly and rightly then it may require surgical treatment.
In HIV positive mothers, the risk of spreading the disease to the baby gets increased.
Mastitis prevention can be done in the following ways:
- Breastfeed your child equally from both breasts.
- Empty your breasts to prevent breast engorgement.
- Drink a lot of water to avoid dehydration.
- Use good breastfeeding techniques.
- Be careful about your hygiene, clean nipples properly.
- Always drain one breast before switching to the other one.
- Change positions of feeding from time to time.
- Make sure that the baby latches on correctly
Home Remedies For Mastitis
Following are the home remedies for mastitis
- Heat and cold technique is pretty helpful as observed yet. Apply heat for 15-20 minutes before nursing the child and then apply some ice after nursing for 15-20 minutes. It will help in loosening the blockage in the duct and will make the nursing easier.
- Take proper rest. Women forget about themselves after having the responsibility of the baby. The body needs rest and taking rest will prevent a lot of upcoming diseases and problems.
- Massaging the breasts help in loosening the blocked ducts. Massage the duct in small circles while the baby is nursing.
- Drink a lot of water. Drinking water is very important as it avoids dehydration. It fights with the infection too.
- Raw garlic is also one of the home remedies for mastitis. It works well when it comes to getting rid of infections.
- Vitamin C helps in removing the infection.
How To Treat Mastitis
How to treat mastitis-
With the help of the following, mastitis can be treated.
- By taking Oral antibiotics
- By applying Antibiotic creams
- Over the counter pain relievers such as Advil, Tylenol.
- Rest and fluids help in treatment.
- Emotional support
People Also Search For: