How To Increase Milk Supply | 40 Foods To Increase Milk
How To Increase Breast Milk Supply
Every mother feels that her breast milk supply is low when it is actually not. But there are some rare cases when the supply of milk is actually low, so how to increase milk supply becomes an important question to be answered.
Before focusing on how to increase milk supply, more focus should be on the baby’s efficient nursing. The positioning of the breast to supply milk efficiently is the main thing to be considered.
Now if the question is how to increase milk supply then the following headings will be useful for a mother:
Signs Of Low Milk Supply
Every mother thinks once about the low supply of milk when it is not. If your baby is gaining weight by drinking milk that means you do not have low milk supply. Low milk supply is rare. So, it’s good to know about the signs of low milk supply
Poor weight gain– it is common for newborns to lose weight around 5-10% of their birth weight but if the baby is losing more than this percentage then it shows that milk supply is low.
Read Also: Newborn Care After Delivery
Insufficient wet or dirty nappies– dirty nappies decreasing in wetness and heaviness show that efficient milk has not reached the baby.
Dehydration– if the baby is getting dark colored urine, a dry mouth or yellow skin then the baby could be dehydrated which is a sign of low milk supply.
How To Increase Breast Milk Naturally At Home
Following points answer the question ‘how to increase breast milk naturally at home’ and ‘how to increase milk supply’-
- Garlic is mainly known for lactogenic properties which help in increasing the breast milk supply.
- Take fenugreek seeds and soak in one cup of water overnight. Boil the soaked seeds in the morning for five minutes. Strain the whole solution and then drunk this tea to increase breast milk supply.
- Fennel seeds– take a cup of hot water and add fennel seeds into it. Cover the cup and let it steep for 5-10 minutes then strain the solution and drink the tea twice a day for a month.
- Take a glass of warm water and add one tsp of cumin powder and a tsp of sugar in it. Drink this solution daily before going to bed.
- Take a ½ spoon of honey and add a pinch of cinnamon powder in it. Have it with a cup of lukewarm water before going to bed.
- Salad or juice of carrots and beetroots help in increasing the milk supply.
- Soak 5-6 almonds overnight in a cup of water and then have those almonds in the morning with lukewarm water.
How To Increase Breast Milk Production Fast
Following mentioned points answer the question ‘how to increase breast milk production fast.’
- Ensure the correct positioning of the breast to supply milk. Correct position will automatically increase the supply of milk.
- Increase the number of breastfeeds- increment in the frequency of feeding will make an increment in the rate at which the breasts produce milk.
- Use breast compression, it will help in stimulating a let-down and will continue the flow of milk to your baby.
- Offer both breasts at each feed. Observe how the baby’s sucking patterns and allow him to suck the breast more he wants too in order to maintain a proper supply of milk
Foods That Increase Milk Supply Breastfeeding
How to increase milk supply is frequently asked by all the mothers so following is the list of 40 foods that increase milk supply breastfeeding–
- Fenugreek Seeds
- Fennel seeds
- Cumin seeds
- Carom seeds
- Poppy seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Anise seeds
- Chia seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Brown rice
- Cow’s milk
- Sweet potato
- Bottle gourd
- Green Papaya
- Bitter gourd
- Blessed thistle
- Basil leaves
- Water and juices
- Lactation tea
- Brewer’s yeast
- Lactation cookies
Consumption of the above-mentioned foods is done in a unique style. Some of them are consumed after soaking, boiling and straining and some of them are consumed directly after chopping.
Foods That Decrease Milk Supply
Following is the list of foods that decrease milk supply–
- Peppermint– Occasional drinking of peppermint is never harmful but consumption in large amount decrease the supply of milk.
- Sage is commonly a remedy for overproduction so consuming it would negatively impact.
- Topical application of cabbage leaves
- Beer and other alcoholic beverages impact negatively on production and supply of milk.
People Also Search For:
- Best Breastfeeding Positions-New Born To Toddlers
- Breastfeeding Problems | Latching On, Pain Or Low Milk Supply
- Baby Flat Head | Pillow, Prevention & Treatment