Babies Fall Asleep While Breastfeeding-Is It Normal?
Babies Fall Asleep While Breastfeeding
There is a true saying a newborn baby needs three things- mother’s warmth, breastfeed and tender love & care. Mothers feel so amazed as soon as the baby is breastfed and little lullaby puts a baby to sleep. In the initial few months, a baby usually sleeps for 14-18 hours a day and nursing soothes them. There are enough studies to prove why babies fall asleep while breastfeeding. There is an increase in a hormone called “CHOLECYSTOKININ” which is helpful in controlling the feeling of fullness and makes an urge of drowsiness for babies.
Other Reason could be a poor latch. It is not a good sign in the long run. Some of them might not get enough amount of milk which makes them panic and they fall asleep. Even they get tired after different feeds and falls asleep.
Baby Falls Asleep While Bottle Feeding
It is important to cuddle the little hands and gentle face of the baby. It is generally seen that babies who were earlier breastfed find difficult to adjust with bottle-feeding.
Around 6-8 feeds are given in 24 hours. Though this number may vary in different cases.
As mentioned above, it soothes them and makes them fall asleep. However, this case comes with several risks:
- Choking: Babies fall asleep while bottle feed and it might result in choking if it goes the wrong way.
- Ear Infection: Taking milk while lying flat also pose risk in the ear cavity.
- Tooth Decay: Keeping a bottle in the mouth for a long time also pose risk for tooth decay.
What To Do If The Baby Falls Asleep While Breastfeeding?
Pulling off from the nipple is one such harsh way. This is not at all recommendable. You have to be gentle with the young one all the time. There are some subtle ways which can be used in this condition.
- Wipe The Face With Some Soft Cloth: This is one such gentle way to keep the baby fresh and awake. As soon as the face is exposed to some cooling which tickles the sensation and would wake him up.
- Feet Can Be Tickled: Babies need pampering and love all the time. Their feet or palms can be rubbed to make them feel comfortable.
- Baby’s Back Can Be Rubbed: In this case, it has to be noted that tummy should not be rubbed as it might result in vomit. You just have to tap the baby’s back.
- Burp Will Awake The Baby: Making them sit in an upright position will help them burp.
How To Stop Newborn Falling Asleep While Breastfeeding?
These are some of the tips to keep the baby awake at the time of breastfeeding. It would inculcate activeness in a child.
- There has to be some dim light on all the time which keeps the attention of the child.
- Baby’s feet should not be covered at the time of breastfeeding.
- Tickling them all the time keeps you and prevent your child asleep while breastfeeding.
- As soon as you feel that the baby is falling asleep, you can even switch breast to keep them awake.
- Clean the babies face with a wet cloth to make them feel fresh.
- Toys or light music can be played to grab their attention.
- Start talking to your child it would make them feel connected and loved.
Babies usually fall asleep during breastfeeding or bottle feed. This is not a big concern. However, you should make sure that the child does not get habituated to this and are awake during feeds.