WHAT IS VITAMIN D?
Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin. It can be classified into two parts: D2 and D3. Vitamin D2, also known as ergocalciferol and obtains from fortified foods, plant foods, and supplements.
Vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol, obtains from fortified foods, animal foods (fatty fish, cod liver oil, eggs, and liver), supplements, and from the sun.
VITAMIN D SOURCES
Your body makes it when ultraviolet (UV) radiation of sunlight touches your skin.
Vitamin D is perhaps the single most underrated nutrient in the world of nutrition. Besides Sunlight the other Vitamin D sources are:
- Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon.
- Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals.
- Beef Liver.
- Egg yolks
VITAMIN D REQUIREMENT PER DAY
The main reason for the vitamin D deficiency epidemic in the world is that there is not sufficient amount of vitamin D in the food consumed on daily bases. As per the Vitamin D deficiency statistics, the estimated amount an adult is between 3000 and 5000 IU per day.
As a result of the main source of vitamin D, almost entirely, depends on sun exposure. When an adult is exposed to 1 minimal erythemal dose of UV, a slight pinkness to the skin 24 h after exposure, this amount of exposure produces almost 10,000-25,000 unit vitamin D.
On the other hand in the absence of sunlight exposure, at least 2000-3000 IU of vitamin D is necessary for children and adults to maintain a 30 ng/ml vitamin D in their blood. Source:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3483003/
BENEFITS OF VITAMIN D
- Vitamin D is used around the world to treat Psoriasis (a chronic skin disease).
- Seasonal Affective Disorder is caused by a melatonin imbalance initiated by lack of exposure to sunlight.
- Chronic vitamin D deficiency is often misdiagnosed as fibromyalgia(a chronic disorder associated with pain in muscles and bones) because its symptoms are so similar: muscle weakness, aches, and pains.
- Your risk of developing serious diseases like diabetes and cancer is reduced 50% – 80% through simple, sensible exposure to natural sunlight 2-3 times each week.
- Infants who receive vitamin D supplementation (2000 units daily) have an 80% reduced risk of developing type-1 diabetes over the next twenty years.
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY CAUSES AND SYMPTOMS
Most people don’t realize that they are Vitamin D deficient because the symptoms are generally subtle. You may not notice them easily, even if they are having a significant negative effect on your quality of life. Hence find some vitamin D deficiency causes and symptoms:
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY CAUSES
- Osteoporosis is commonly caused by a lack of vitamin D, which greatly impairs calcium absorption.
- Vitamin D deficiency may cause a severe type of cancer, such as:
- prostate cancer,
- breast cancer,
- ovarian cancer,
- colon cancer and
- Vitamin D deficiency can cause ~schizophrenia (A chronic and severe mental disorder that affects how a person thinks, feels, and behaves)
- “Rickets”- is the name of a bone-wasting disease caused by vitamin D deficiency.
- Vitamin D deficiency may exacerbate type 2 diabetes and impair insulin production in the pancreas.
- Obesity impairs vitamin D utilization in the body, meaning obese people need twice as much vitamin D.
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS
- Muscular Pain- Studies have found that Vitamin D deficiency may be the reason for Muscular Pain
- Thyroid- the misbalance of thyroid hormone released by pituitary gland may affect due to deficiency of vitamin D.
- Weight Gain- It is clearly understood that obesity may increase due to increase in thyroid level.
- Depression- Depression is another symptom of vitamin D deficiency
- Hair Loss- vitamin D plays role in stimulating new and old hair follicles.
- Fatigue And Tiredness- studies have found that vitamin D increases the blood level and hence eliminate fatigue and tiredness.
- Impaired Wound Healing- Slow healing of wounds after surgery or injury may be an indication of vitamin D deficiency.
- Bone Loss Or Lesser Bone Density- Many older women who are diagnosed with bone loss or osteopenia (less bone mineral density) believe they need to take more calcium. However, they may be deficient in vitamin D as well.
VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY TREATMENT
If you consult with your doctor, he/she may recommend you for a preventative dose of vitamin D of 2000 units per day or 60,000IU per week for 4 to 12 weeks depends on your symptoms and severity of diseases.
A country like India the Vitamin D pathological test cost is expensive than its treatment. Yes! Rightly read! Besides some interesting Facts about Vitamin D, It is also interesting to listen that its pathological test cost is approx. rs. 1900.00 (varies as per pathology). While the cost of the supplement of Vitamin D 2000 IU is rs 200.00 and Vitamin D 60,000IU is rs. 100.00 approx. for a one month dose.