Tilted Uterus | Symptoms, Treatment & Exercises
Tilted, tipped or retroverted uterus is a rising risk among women rising day by day. It is a disorder in which the uterus of the women tips or tilts back towards the lower back. A tilted uterus can occur due to the relaxing or weakening of the uteruses wall muscles.
It is getting common these days occurring in 20 out of 100 women approx. Though this disorder may not cause harm in your pregnancy, normally this disorder is tough to detect as women are not too aware of it.
Tilted uterus syndrome is common in women you have given birth to a child or more.
Tilted Uterus Symptoms:
Tilted uterus though doesn’t show any significant symptoms but some tilted uterus symptoms are -:
- Feeling pain while having sexual intercourse, due to the tilted position of the uterus.
- The problem in getting diaphragms fit, this might occur while periods and be irritating
- Feeling pain in the lower abdomen is normal for most women. But if you feel majority pain in your lower back especially during pregnancy than this might be a prospective symptom of a tilted uterus.
- You seem to have a continuous encounter with UTI(urinary tract infection) and many times surgery is recommended by doctors for this.
- You may seem to have a hard time in getting pregnant, though tilted uterus does not affect pregnancy. But if your tilted uterus syndrome is due to endometriosis than it might be the case.
- Might face difficulty in going to the bathroom.
Tilted Uterus And Getting Pregnant:
It is a myth that tilted or retroverted uterus makes it difficult or impossible to conceive or get pregnant. But, this is wrong tilted or retroverted does not affect pregnancy and this is just something that is common and has pretty fair odds.
It’s just your uterus bending towards your spine. While if your tilt in the uterus is due to endometriosis than this can cause difficulty in getting pregnant. As it causes scar tissue which restricts or bares the egg from getting to the fallopian tube.
This might restrict you from getting pregnant. The angle of the uterus is not a matter of concern in getting pregnant. Tilted uterus and getting pregnancy are somewhere apart from each other in most cases.
Tilted Uterus And Tampons:
Tampons are basically a mass of absorbent material, primarily used as a feminine hygiene product. Tampons are designed in such a way that they get easily inserted into the vagina during menstruation and absorb the menstrual flow.
If they are inserted correctly then they are held in place by the vagina and soak up menstrual blood. Tilted uterus as mentioned earlier is when the uterus is tipped or tilted toward the spine or lower back.
Due, to the skewness in the shape of uterus you may face difficulty in inserting a tampon and they are found to be not working properly in women with a tilted or retroverted uterus.
All sorts of menstrual fluid leak out of it as they are not inserted properly. So, tilted uterus and tampons are not found to work together.
Tilted Uterus Treatment:
Tilted uterus syndrome as said above has good odds of occurring in anyone. Some tilted uterus treatment options that can help to correct the position of the uterus are mentioned below.
These can be preferred if a woman has symptoms of the tilted uterus and that bears her ability to get pregnant.
- USING PESSARY-: pessary is a device that’s planted in women’s vagina. It provides support and balance to the vaginal walls, and uteruses wall and other pelvic areas. A pessary is not a permanent solution as the uterus reverts to its original position once it is removed. Tough it helps to reposition the uterus to somewhat extent.
- COMFORTING POSITIONS-: positions such as “knee-chest position” are very comfortable position as they relax the uterus muscles and wall providing temporary relief.
- SURGICAL PROCEDURE -: Though this method of tilted uterus treatment is preferred in very severe cases where the pregnancy is being restricted or severe pain is faced.
The surgical procedure itself sounds too tough as tilted uterus doesn’t create such an issue. But surgical procedure includes maintaining suspension in the uterus which remakes its shape. In most, cases pain is somewhat relieved and pregnancy is achieved too.
Retroverted Uterus Exercises:
In cases of the retroverted uterus, certain types of exercises are designed to strengthen the ligaments and walls that hold the uterus in its correct position. Exercises that may help include:
- KEGEL EXERCISE-:
Kegel is a simple clench-and-release exercise that can be done to make your pelvic muscles stronger. Your pelvis is the area that holds your reproductive organs, hence effectively it helps in repositioning your uterus.
Lie on your back with your arms at your sides in a relaxed position. Inhale as you lift your hips off the ground. Hold and release as you exhale. Repeat it 10-15 times.
2. THE KNEE-CHEST EXERCISE-:
As mentioned in the above paragraph knee-chest exercise is a positional exercise that helps in the positioning of your uterus. Though this exercise provides temporary relief but still remains a preferable choice.
Lie on your back with both knees bent and set your feet on the floor. Now, Slowly raise one knee at a time up toward your chest and then gently pulling it with both hands. Hold this position for 20 seconds to repeat it.
3. KANGAROO WALK-:
It is an exercise that provides strength to the erector spinae muscles in your lower back and helps in repositioning your uterus by a to and fro movement.
The procedure to this exercise is by getting on your legs and hands. Straighten your arms and lift your hips toward the ceiling.
Push your abdomen forward by keeping your knees flexed and your back pointed. Now Walk with your knees slightly bent.