Stretch Marks | Causes, Prevention & Treatment
Recently Updated On: June 8th, 2018
Causes, Prevention & Treatment
A woman’s body goes through a number of changes, especially during pregnancy. The beautiful nine months of pregnancy aren’t easy either.
Mood swings, pains, bodily changes and yes the sudden weight gain and the sudden weight loss are somethings that leave their impression for a lifelong period. One such impression is stretch marks.
Stretch marks are marks of crease or depression that are formed due to the sudden stretching of the skin forming a scar like structure.
Stretch marks can occur both on men and women while when they occur during pregnancy, there are known as Striae Gravidarum.
Striae can be explained as follows:
Striae refer to the groves or scars usually purplish or white in color which develop on the dermis and are mainly referred to as stretch marks affecting a pregnant woman’s breasts, buttocks, stomach. Thighs or legs.
Stretch Mark Causes
Discussing stretch marks pregnancy, the first question that arises in the minds of readers is why do you get stretch marks?
Well, let us now discuss the various stretch mark causes.
Starting with, our body is naturally elastic. Stretch marks mostly develop due to the sudden weight gain and weight loss.
This is because of the excess production of a hormone known as Cortisone. In such cases of excess weight gain or loss, this hormone is produced in excess by the adrenal gland which further reduces the natural elasticity of our skin.
How Do You Get Stretch Marks
Stretches are really common and easily visible marks on the areas of your body.
Stretch marks are usually found in the cases of :
- excess weight gain or loss
- Various body creams which reduce the elasticity of the skin
- Various adrenal gland disorders like Cushing’s syndrome, Marfan’s syndrome, Ehlers danlos syndrome.
Stretch marks are most visible in areas like your stomach, thighs and inner thighs.
Stretch marks on the stomach are usually formed on the area around or middle of the belly. Mostly due to pregnancy weight gain or sudden natural weight gain and loss.
Further stretch marks on thighs and stretch marks on inner thighs are really common among both men and women. It is due to sudden weight gain and loss.
Well, we may generally come across stretch marks on the upper thigh but what causes stretch marks on inner thighs.
Inner thigh stretch marks are mostly witnessed by women during pregnancy due to excess weight gain. It is initially purplish and whitish in color.
Stretch marks pregnancy generally fade away sooner or later.
How To Prevent Stretch Marks
Stretch marks pregnancy isn’t really a big deal but in today’s lifestyle, all of us crave for a healthy glowing and flawless skin.
Stretch marks may sometimes show an imperfect bodily image, so here are some measures on how to prevent stretch marks:
- Drinking lots of water and keeping yourself hydrated will increase the elasticity of your skin and not only prevent stretch marks but will also always make you look fresh and glowing.
- Vitamin C and Vitamin D are some of the health supplement which can help you avoid stretch marks.
- Keep your diet healthy and retain the body elasticity by filling it up nutrients.
- Treat your stretch marks as soon as they appear to avoid them from growing.
- Avoid weight gain and suddenly loses. Your body may lose its elasticity.
Stretch Marks Treatment
Stretch marks are some highly stubborn body scars that may persist for a lifetime.
Once developed, you must carefully identify them and take measures to clear them off so that you can again show off your healthy skin.
Here are some ways of stretch marks treatment:
Before moving out from your home for trying out things, let’s first discuss what all you can do while sitting at your home:
- Coconut oil
- Cocoa butter
- Olive oil
- Almond oil
- Shea butter
These home tools can reduce and eventually fade away your stretch marks.
Further, you can resort to:
- Laser light treatment
- Stretch mark removal creams
Helpful Posts In Stretch Marks:
- Stretch Marks Pregnancy | How Long Does It Take To Fade
- How To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks | Cream And Removal Cost