Sodium Deficiency | Symptoms, Levels Range, & Treatment
Recently Updated On: June 4th, 2018
There might be a case when you lack the approximate amount of sodium required in your body. This sodium deficiency is termed as Hyponatremia.
Hyponatremia or the sodium deficiency in the human body is caused when the level of sodium in the blood is reduced.
There may be varying reasons for low sodium levels in the blood. It may possibly be a serious medical condition or drinking an excessive amount of water.
Sodium deficiency may also be caused if you consume diuretics. Hyponatremia leads to rising in the water level in the body causing the cells to swell up.
Sodium Levels Range:
Sodium levels in the body are measured in mill equivalents per liter (mEq/L). It is the measuring unit of blood sodium levels in the body.
The normal sodium levels range in the human body is between 135 and 145 mEq/L.
This can also interchangeably mean that the normal sodium levels range from 3.10 mg/ml to 3.34 mg/ml.
Recommended Daily Sodium Intake:
It is surprising to know that on an average, people consume just double the amount of sodium intake recommended by WHO.
Does it seem too baffling to ascertain the daily sodium intake for yourself and your family? There’s certainly no need to worry.
Here for you is the recommended daily sodium intake:
- The maximum level of daily sodium intake is 2300 milligrams. You should unmistakably consume not more than 2300 milligrams of sodium per day.
- While the lower limit for sodium per day is 1500 milligrams, you may also aim to consume below this level per day.
- 1500 milligrams of sodium means 3/4th of a teaspoon of salt whereas 2300 milligrams of sodium means 1 teaspoon of salt.
Sodium Deficiency Symptoms:
You may observe these below mentioned sodium deficiency symptoms in this case:
- Nausea with vomiting
- Complete loss of energy
- Muscle weakness
- Spasms and cramps
- Confusion and Irritability
- Seizures and Coma
How To Increase Sodium Levels:
To simply curb or prevent hyponatremia, increasing the sodium levels may largely help. Follow these steps to increase sodium levels in the body:
- Limit your water intake. Drinking plenty of water dilutes the sodium in your blood resulting in the sodium deficiency symptoms. Sweating also causes the loss of sodium from the body hence increasing the water intake only in certain conditions is the best step.
- Replace water with sports drinks or beverages. These contain essential electrolyte and remove the sodium deficiency
- If sports drink is not approachable, consider having coconut water, a glass of saline water or banana in that case.
- You might have to deal with having an additional amount of salt in your food or take maximums Sodium Foods to prevent hyponatremia.
- Increase your fruits and vegetable intake during this condition.
- Have sodium-rich food or other sodium sources like cheese, meat, roasted nuts, etc.
Vegetables High In Sodium:
There are certain vegetables that are sodium rich and that will certainly help you suppress the sodium deficiency symptoms. The vegetables high in sodium are as such:
- Sweet potatoes
High Sodium Drinks:
In the case of hyponatremia, you might also increase the sodium intake through these below mentioned high sodium drinks:
- Sports beverages like Gatorade.
- Vegetable juices
- A hot cup of hot cocoa
- Orange drinks
- Canned fruit drinks
- Beer(though it is not a good option if taken in excess)
Treatment Of Low Sodium:
Hyponatremia may vary from mild or acute. Depending upon the intensity of low sodium levels in the blood, treatment of low sodium levels varies.
If the sodium deficiency is mild the treatment can include only adjustments in the diet or lifestyle.
However, for severe sodium deficiency, an aggressive sodium deficiency treatment is a must.
The Sodium deficiency symptoms may not be visible in mild hyponatremia.
In the acute case, the diagnosis will become rather difficult only by a physical test and hence you may have to give blood and urine tests for confirmation.
After these tests, the exact cause of the deficiency is ascertained and the treatment follows in that direction.
In this case, the doctor suggests a particular medication treatment to repress the accompanying symptoms.
You may also be recommended to take IV Sodium Solution to increase the sodium levels. This is the Sodium deficiency treatment.
People Read This Article Should Also Read: