Potassium Deficiency Causes & Symptoms | High Potassium Foods
Recently Updated On: June 1st, 2018
Potassium Deficiency causes & Symptoms
High Potassium Foods
Maintaining the consistency of potassium In the body is essential. Too much and too low, both can be a dangerous situation.
Low potassium in the body may lead to a situation called potassium deficiency which may further result in lt in Hypokalemia.
This condition can widely affect your nervous system, heart and blood pressure, muscular activities, etc.
Since most of the sources of potassium are natural foods like fruits and vegetables, this condition is becoming widely common due to most people depending on a non-vegetarian diet nowadays.
People who do not eat enough plants have a deficiency of potassium.
Potassium Deficiency Causes
Potassium deficiency also known as Hypokalemia is common among a lot of Americans and is becoming even more common due to our changing lifestyle.
There may be various causes leading to low potassium in the body. Some of the major potassium deficiency causes are listed below:
- Kidney failure or disorder
- Genetical hypokalemia
- Barium poisoning
- Gitelman syndrome
Potassium Deficiency Symptoms
Our body in some way or the other signs the presence of any abnormality within.
So is the case for potassium scarcity. Here listed are the various potassium deficiency symptoms:
- It may lead to severe weakness and fatigue due to lack of minerals
- You may start to experience indigestion and various other digestive issues
- There are cases of heart palpitation and anxiety
- There may be feeling of numbness and a tingling sensation
- You may experience muscle cramps, aches, and stiffness
- There may be breathing issues with the person suffering from low potassium
Potassium Deficiency Diseases
Deficiency of Potassium may involve various other diseases associated with this problem. If low potassium not treated timely may result in some other problems too.
Such associated potassium deficiency diseases include ;
- Hair loss
- High blood pressure
- Kidney abnormalities
- Skin problems
- Weakness and fatigue
- Stomach illness and disorder
Potassium Deficiency Treatment
Even the worst of diseases have a cure with proper diet and medication. In case of low potassium, let us take a look at some ways of potassium deficiency treatment:
- Consult a doctor when you find severe potassium deficiency symptoms.
- Eat potassium-rich foods like bananas, beetroot, watermelons, coconut etc. in abundance.
- Make sure your body has enough of fluids and avoid your body from dehydrating
- Switch to supplements with proper guidance of a doctor
High Potassium Foods
Most of the vegan or plant-based foods are the foods high in potassium. Keeping your diet in control you can manage your daily potassium requirements and avoid deficiency of potassium.
Some of the high potassium foods include:
- Sweet potato
- White potato
- Black beans
- White beans
- Winter squash
- Apricots (dried)
You must try to control your potassium intake by preparing a Potassium-rich foods chart like given above. Here given above the high potassium foods chart that contains the foods have above 400 mg of potassium.
People Read This Article Should Also Read: